Module IV: Thorax, Cervical Spine & Shoulder Girdle
Module I is a required prerequisite for Pilates, Gyrotonic Instructors, Yoga Instructors, Massage Therapists and Dance Educators.
The following licensed health care providers (PT, MD, DO ATC, DC) are welcome to take the Modules in any order.
May 20th – 21st, 2018
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the anatomy, biomechanics and pathomechanics of common injuries in dancers at the Thorax, Shoulder Girdle and Neck
- Identify typical presentations of commonly seen injuries/conditions including predisposing and precipitating factors, diagnostic presentation, typical interventions and prevention.
- Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the Thorax, shoulder girdle and neck in dancers including exercise, motor control, technique re-education, myofascial release, taping and use of supports.
- For those licensed to do graded passive movement at the joints: Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the thorax, shoulder girdle and neck in dancers including joint mobilization/ Grade V movements.
- Improve observational skills with a focus on the biomechanics of the thorax, shoulder girdle and neck and integrate this skill into intervention programs for the performing dancer.
Sunday May 20th, 2018
8:00- 8:30 Registration
8:30-9:15 Postural Assessment and Concept Overview
9:15-10:00 Cervical Anatomy /Biomechanics
10:15-11:45 Cervical Palpation, Manual Techniques and Therapeutic Exercises
12:45-2:30 Thoracic Anatomy/Biomechanics
2:30-4:30 Thoracic Palpation and Manual Techniques
4:45-6:00 Thoracic Therapeutic Exercises
8:00 Show (Optional NYCB Performance)
Monday May 21st, 2018
8:00-9:30 Shoulder Girdle Anatomy/Biomechanics
9:30-10:30 Shoulder Palpation and Manual Techniques
10:45-12:00 Lab: Shoulder Therapeutic Exercise
1:00-1:45 Common Faults in Partnering Technique
1:45-3:15 Motor Control and Therapeutic Exercise of the Upper Quadrant
3:30-5:30 Motor Control and Therapeutic Exercise of Upper Quadrant