Module IV: Thorax, Cervical Spine & Shoulder Girdle
Module I is a required prerequisite for Pilates, Gyrotonic Instructors, Yoga Instructors, Massage Therapists and Dance Educators.
The following licensed health care providers (PT, MD, DO ATC, DC) are welcome to take the Modules in any order.
May 20th – 21st, 2018
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the anatomy, biomechanics and pathomechanics of common injuries in dancers at the Thorax, Shoulder Girdle and Neck
- Identify typical presentations of commonly seen injuries/conditions including predisposing and precipitating factors, diagnostic presentation, typical interventions and prevention.
- Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the Thorax, shoulder girdle and neck in dancers including exercise, motor control, technique re-education, myofascial release, taping and use of supports.
- For those licensed to do graded passive movement at the joints: Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the thorax, shoulder girdle and neck in dancers including joint mobilization/ Grade V movements.
- Improve observational skills with a focus on the biomechanics of the thorax, shoulder girdle and neck and integrate this skill into intervention programs for the performing dancer.
Sunday May 20th, 2018
8:00 – 8:30 Registration
8:30 – 9:00 LECTURE – Clinical Considerations of the Cervical Spine in the Dancer
9:00 – 11:00 LAB – Assessment of the Cervical Spine with Manual Treatment
11:00 – 11:15 Break
11:15 – 11:45 LECTURE – Clinical Considerations of the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage in the Dancer
11:45 – 12:30 LAB – Assessment of the Thoracic Spine & Rib Cage
12:30 – 1:30 Lunch
1:30 – 3:45 LAB – Assessment/Manual Interventions for the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage
3:45 – 4:00 Break
4:00 – 5:30 LAB – Assessment/Manual Interventions for the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage
Monday May 21st, 2018
8:00 – 10:00 LECTURE – Current Concepts and Clinical Considerations of the Shoulder Girdle in the Dancer
10:00 – 10:15 Break
10:15 – 12:00 LAB – Evaluation of the Shoulder Girdle/Movement Assessment
12:00 – 12:15 Break
12:15 – 1:00 LECTURE – Muscle Function of the Shoulder Girdle
1:00 – 2:00 Lunch
2:00 – 3:15 LAB – Restoring Function and other Management Strategies of Shoulder Girdle Pathology
3:30-4:00 LAB – Self Myofascial release of the Shoulder Girdle and Trunk
4:00 – 5:30 LAB Motor Control Strategies for the Thorax and Shoulder Girdle
5:30 – 5:45 Closing Comments/Q & A