Module III: Hip, Pelvis & Lumbar Spine
Module I is a required prerequisite for Pilates, Gyrotonic Instructors, Yoga Instructors, Massage Therapists, Dance Educators and all other non healthcare providers.
The following licensed health care providers (PT, MD, DO ATC, DC) are welcome to take the Modules in any order.
May 18th – 19th, 2018
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the anatomy, biomechanics and pathomechanics of common injuries in dancers at the hip, pelvis and lumbar spine.
- Identify typical presentations of commonly seen injuries/conditions including predisposing and precipitating factors, diagnostic presentation, typical interventions and prevention.
- Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the hip, pelvis and lumbar spine in dancers including exercise, motor control, technique re-education, myofascial release, taping and use of supports.
- For those licensed to do graded passive movement at the joints: Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the hip, pelvis and lumbar spine in dancers including joint mobilization/ Grade V movements.
- Improve observational skills with a focus on the biomechanics of the hip, pelvis and lumbar spine and integrate this skill into intervention programs for the performing dancer.
Friday May 18th, 2018
8:00 – 8:30 Registration
8:30 – 9:00 Introduction/Case Study Presentation
9:00 – 10:30 LAB – Palpation/Location/ Practice of the Lumbar Spine/Sacrum/Pelvis
10:30 – 10:45 Break
10:45 – 1:00 LAB – Assessment of the Lumbar Spine, Sacrum. and Pelvis with Manual Treatment Intervention
1:00 – 2:00 Lunch
2:00 – 3:00 LAB – Manual Treatment Interventions of the Lumbar Spine, Sacrum and Pelvis
3:00 – 3:15 Break
3:15 – 5:30 LAB: Neuromuscular Re-education/Technique Re-education of the Lumbopelvic girdle
Saturday May 19th, 2018
8:30 – 9:00 Introduction/Case Study
9:00 – 11:00 LAB – Palpation/Location Practice of the Hip and Pelvis
11:00 – 11:15 Break
11:15 – 1:30 LAB – Assessment of the Hip with Manual Treatment Intervention
1:30 – 2:30 Lunch
2:30 – 4:00 LAB – Neuromuscular Re-education/Technique Re-education of the Hip
4:00 – 4:15 Break
4:15 – 5:30 LAB – Neuromuscular Re-education/Technique Re-education of the Hip (cont.)
5:30 – 5:45 Closing Comments/Q & A