Module I: Concepts of Dance Medicine
Module I is only a prerequisite for Modules II, III and IV for non-healthcare providers. All other licensed healthcare providers are welcome to take the modules in any order.
June 1st – 2nd, 2017 – Course full
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Understand the healing process of the various tissues that are commonly injured in dancers and how to integrate this information into the rehabilitation process.
- Describe the growth and development issues of the dancer throughout their lifespan and how it influences the rehabilitation of injuries.
- Identify the unique health, environmental and choreographic concerns that affect the performing dancer.
- Conduct a basic dance technique evaluation (based on healthy alignment) and give corrective cues and exercises for dysfunctional movement patterns/alignment.
- Identify abnormal gait patterns in dancers and teach strategies to correct the gait cycle.
- Implement a wellness program for dancers.
|8:00-8:30AM||Registration, Introduction and Overview|
|8:30-10:00AM||Lecture: Pre-Adolescent/Adolescent dancer|
|10:00 – 10:15AM||Break|
|10:15-10:30AM||Lecture: Pre-Adolescent/Adolescent dancer|
|10:30 – 11:00PM||Postural Assessment of the Young Dancer|
|11:00-11:30PM||Young Adult and Mature Dancer|
|1:30-3:00||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Ligament, Tendon and Muscle)|
|3:00-4:00||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Ligament, Tendon and Muscle)|
|4:15-5:45||Basic Positions and Elementary Movements in Classical Dance|
|5:45-8:00||Break (Dinner on own) *8:00 is the School of American Ballet Workshop Performance|
|8:30-9:30AM||Importance of Gait in Dancers/Strategies for Prevention|
|11:00-1:30PM||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Bone, Fascia and Nerve)|
|2:15-4:00PM||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Bone, Fascia and Nerve)|