Module I: Concepts of Dance Medicine
Module I is only a prerequisite for Modules II, III and IV for non-healthcare providers. All other licensed healthcare providers are welcome to take the modules in any order.
June 1st – 2nd, 2017 – Course full
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Review and refresh knowledge of basic anatomy and pathophysiology of the myofascial and neural system, including the differences in healing time, and integrate this information into the rehabilitation of dance injuries
- Discuss growth and developmental issues of the dancers throughout their lifespan and demonstrate an understanding of how age influences the rehabilitation of injuries
- Identify unique health, environment and choreographic concerns that affect the performing dancer at different stages of their training.
- Conduct a basic dance technique evaluation and give corrective cues and exercises to correct dysfunction alignment and postures.
- Observe and identify abnormal gait patterns in dancers and teach strategies to correct common deviations.
- Initiate an understsanding of how to begin to implement a wellness program for dancers.
Thursday June 1st Schedule
|8:30-10:00AM||Lecture: Introduction to Concepts in Dance Medicine|
|10:00 – 10:15AM||Break|
|10:15-12:00AM||Lecture: Pre-Adolescent/Adolescent dancer|
|12:00 – 1:00PM||Lunch|
|2:45-4:00PM||Creative Stabilization for the Hypermobile Dancer|
|4:15-5:30||Young Adult/Mature Dancer|
Friday June 2nd Schedule
|8:30-9:30AM||Importance of Gait in Dancers/Strategies for Prevention|
|9:30-11:000AM||Basic Positions and Elementary Movement in Classical Dance|
|11:15-12:30PM||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Muscle, Tendon)|
|1:30-2:30PM||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Ligament)|
|2:30-3:30PM||Musculoskeletal Tissues and Injury (Fascia)|
|3:45-5:00PM||Musculoskeletal Tissue and Injury (Nerve)|
|5:00-5:30PM||Q & A/Closing Comments|
|8:00PM||Optimal Dance performance (School of American Ballet)|