Module IV: Thorax, Cervical spine, and Shoulder Girdle
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the anatomy, biomechanics and pathomechanics of common injuries in dancers at the Thorax, Shoulder Girdle and Neck
- Identify typical presentations of commonly seen injuries/conditions including: predisposing and precipitating factors, diagnostic presentation, typical interventions and prevention.
- Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the Thorax, shoulder girdle and neck in dancers including exercise, motor control, technique re-education, myofascial release, taping and use of supports.
- For those licensed to do graded passive movement at the joints: Apply effective intervention strategies to typical injuries/conditions at the thorax, shoulder girdle and neck in dancers including joint mobilization/ Grade V movements.
- Improve observational skills with a focus on the biomechanics of the thorax, shoulder girdle and neck and integrate this skill into intervention programs for the performing dancer.
8:00-8:30 am Registration
8:30-10:30 am Lecture/LAB: Cervical Spine: Anatomy/Biomechanics Related to the Dancer
10:30-10:50 am Break
10:50-12:00 pm Lecture/LAB: Cervical Spine: Clinical Considerations for the Dancer
12:00-1:00 pm Lunch
1:00-2:00 pm Lecture: Thoracic Spine: Anatomy/Biomechanics Related to the Dancer
2:00-4:00 pm LAB: Assessment/ Treatment of the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage
4:20-5:30 pm LAB: Motor Control Strategies/Therapeutic Exercise for the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage
8:30-9:30 am Lecture: The Shoulder Girdle Complex and the Dancer
9:30 – 10:30 am LAB: Assessment of the Shoulder Girdle
10:30-10:45 am Break
10:45-12:30 pm LAB: Muscles and Fascias of the Dancer: Upper Quadrant
12:30-1:30 pm Lunch
1:30-3:00 pm Assessment and Treatment of the Shoulder Girdle
3:00-3:20 pm Break
3:20-5:00 pm Upper Quadrant Movement Assessment and Retraining for the Dancer
5:00-5:30 pm Closing Comments/Q&A